Turkey and Sweet Potato Gumbo
This Turkey and Sweet Potato Gumbo recipe is a great way to get an extra meal or two out of the Thanksgiving Bird. It also uses sweet potatoes and our Purnell's Turkey Sausage. It's Gooo-od!
Heat vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir the turkey thigh pieces until browned, about 10 minutes, then remove from pan and set aside. In the same pot, place the sausage patties, and break into chunks with a spatula. Cook and stir the sausage until browned and crumbly, about 10 minutes.
Stir the onion, celery, and green pepper into the pot. Continue to cook and stir, about 5 more minutes. Mix in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute; then stir in the flour. Cook and stir the mixture until the flour forms a coating on the sausage and vegetables and begins to brown, 5 to 8 more minutes.
Mix in the sweet potato, thyme, oregano, chicken broth, tomatoes, and bay leaf, and bring the gumbo to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer while stirring often until thickened and the sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in the cooked turkey and hot sauce, and simmer until the turkey is heated through. Discard the bay leaf before serving.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless turkey thigh meat, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound turkey sausage patties
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce