Sweet and Spicy Sandwich Onions
This recipe is the perfect topping for your favorite sandwich using any of Purnell's "Old Folks" products. Add a bell pepper for more flavor, or for an extra kick of heat, add a jalapeno!
Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the hot sauce, yellow mustard, honey, chili powder, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Reduce heat to low, and continue to cook for about 5-8 minutes.
Stir in the water and tomato paste. Simmer until liquid has reduced, about 20-25 minutes. Top off your favorite sandwich and enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 extra large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey*
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
*Desired flavor depends on what kind of honey you use. A lighter color of honey will have a milder taste, whereas a darker honey will have a stronger flavor. You can always substitute sugar for the honey, but it won’t retain as much moisture.