Sage, Sausage and Apple Dressing
Our Purnell’s “Old Folks” Sage Sausage, stuffing cubes, butter, onion, apples, celery, kosher salt, chicken broth, parsley walnuts and eggs. It's Gooo-od!
Put the stuffing cubes in a large bowl and set aside.
Toast walnuts: spread on a baking sheet and toast in a 350 degree F oven until golden, about 7 minutes.
Butter a 3-quart casserole dish.
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until it loses most of its pink color, about 5 minutes.
Add the sausage and pan drippings to the bowl of stuffing cubes.
In the now empty pan, melt the remaining butter. Add the onion, apple, celery, and salt. Cook until the vegetables get soft, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and parsley and bring to a boil.
Pour the vegetable mixture over the stuffing cubes and toss until evenly moistened. Mix in the walnuts and eggs.
Loosely pack the dressing in the prepared pan and cook uncovered until the top forms a crust, about 40 minutes.
Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of turkey pan drippings or melted butter over the top. Cook until the top is crisp and golden, about 20 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Tips: Put the dressing in the oven during the last hour of cooking the turkey
- 1 pound Purnell’s “Old Folks” Sage Sausage
- 16-ounce bag stuffing cubes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the pan and topping
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cooking apples, such as Gravenstein, Rome, or Golden Delicious, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 to 2 ribs celery with leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted and chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten