Sage-and-Onion Chicken and Sausage
Our Purnell’s “Old Folks” Italian links, onion or 2 small onions, olive oil, English mustard, dried sage, Worcestershire sauce, lemon and chicken. It's Gooo-od!
Make ahead: Peel and cut the onion into eighths, and put into a freezer bag with the oil, mustard, dried sage, a good grinding of pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Cut the lemon in half, squeeze the juice into a bag, and then cut the halves into eighths and add them.
Shake bag to mix (the mustard needs help to combine) and then add the chicken pieces. Leave to marinate in the refrigerator overnight, or for up to 2 days.
To cook: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Allow the chicken to come to room temperature in its marinade.
Arrange the chicken pieces in a roasting pan skin side up with the marinade, including all the bits and pieces. Add sausages.
Sprinkle the fresh sage leaves over the chicken and sausages and then bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Turn the sausages over halfway through to color them evenly and make sure they are cooked thoroughly.
Arrange the chicken and sausages on a large platter and serve hot.
- 12 Purnell’s “Old Folks” Italian Links
- 1 large onion or 2 small onions
- 1/2 cup olive oil (not extra-virgin)
- 2 teaspoons English mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lemon
- 1 (4-pound) chicken, jointed into 10 pieces, with the skin still on
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, chopped