Kale, Mushroom and Carmelized Onion Quiche
Purnell's Spicy Medium Country Sausage, red onion, red bell pepper, mushrooms, kale, thyme, eggs, milk and cheese. Its Gooo-od!
Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a casserole with cooking spray, and set it aside.
In a large frying pan, heat the oil and cook the onions over the lowest heat for 6-8 minutes, until quite soft and beginning to brown lightly. Add the bell pepper, mushrooms and kale, and cook for 3-4 minutes, until the kale wilts and the pepper softens. Stir in the thyme. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until they are well combined. Add the milk and cheese, and mix well. Season with black pepper. When the vegetables are coolish, mix them with the eggs, and pour everything into the prepared casserole dish.
Bake uncovered at 375F for 35 minutes.
Remove from the oven, and let the casserole sit for 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from our Facebook friend Serious Food for the Soul
See the original recipe here
- From the pantry, you’ll need: eggs, grated cheese, onion, extra virgin olive oil, dried thyme, cooking spray.
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 1 lb roll of Purnell’s Spicy Medium Country Sausage
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (I like baby bellas)
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaf
- 10 large eggs
- 1/4 cup nonfat (skim) milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I use low-fat, whenever possible)
- 1/2 tsp fresh black pepper