Bratwurst In Aluminum Foil
Mix mustard, mayonnaise, and horseradish in a small bowl; reserve. Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bratwurst, cook, turning until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan; reserve. Add onions and sauerkraut to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon until lightly browned, about 5 to 6 minutes. Mix in caraway seeds; reserve.
Spread about 1 tablespoon of the mustard mixture on the cut sides of each bun. Put 1 bratwurst in each bun. Top each with some sauerkraut mixture. Top each with sliced cheese. Lay each prepared bratwurst on top of the cut foil. Bring foil up around bun, sealing and rolling to close. Leave some space at the top. Do not close too tightly.
Bratwursts can be refrigerated at this point for up to 24 hours. Bring back to room temperature before heating. Heat in 400ºF oven for 10 minutes. Serves 12.
- 7 tbsp. coarse-grained mustard
- 1/4 c. mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. prepared horseradish
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 12 fully cooked Purnell’s “Old Folks” Old Fashioned Cooked Bratwurst
- 4 c. coarsely chopped onions
- 1 lb. good quality sauerkraut, drained
- 1 tbsp. caraway seeds
- 12 lg. poppy seed buns
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. sliced Swiss cheese, cut in thin strips
- 12 lg. squares heavy-duty aluminum foil